Monday, March 26, 2007

Topic Proposal

I am interested in conservation through the use of documentary videography or through the use of photography. In particular, I am interested in educating the public of the values and the need for the gray wolf as a valuable addition to our ecosystem. Perhaps some of my admiration for the gray wolf comes from my childhood but I cannot put a finger on exactly what it was that sparked my interest in wolves.

I had the opportunity to work with the Sawtooth Pack: Wolves of the Nez Perce during my stay in the Lewis-Clark Valley. I have had the opportunity to join the biologist and staff of the Wolf Education & Research Center in Winchester on several occasions as they entered the enclosure with the pack members. Watching The Grizzly Man documentary, I found that I disagreed with the style of documentary Mr. Treadwell used when he was introducing us to the brown bears of Alaska. I knew before the end of the movie that Mr. Treadwell was going to die as a result of his style and tactics he displayed.

I would like to do a little research as to what is the ‘correct’ way to produce a documentary which involves wild animals. Specifically, there is a certain amount of stress involved with the wild animals anytime the animals come in close proximity to humans while the animal is in it’s native environment. Is there a responsible way to go about creating a documentary? Should the conservationist watch for specific signs from the animals they are photographing or documenting which leads the conservationist to say ‘perhaps I am no longer doing good here and I should leave the animals alone?’

Through my interview with Jeremy Heft, biologist and pack manager for the Wolf Education & Research Center, I hope to be able to arrive at some type of answer.