Monday, February 12, 2007

Who is this guy?

I am not really smart enough to grasp what Snyder suggests without asking some pointed questions in response to his writing but he seems to be suggesting that the Catholic (and perhaps the Mormon) church is encouraging us to have babies in order to increase the prosperity of the human race. Did he say that?

If he is suggesting that we need to somehow limit how many children a woman has, beyond education in less fortunate (or developing) countries, I think Snyder is a bit irresponsible and I'm certainly glad I didn't suggest it. This is definitely a way to make an awful lot of enemies in an awful hurry.

We have a few choices to make as far as how much our planet can sustain while we are all healthy. Humanity is growing at a rapid pace, there is no doubt. I see an awful lot of compassion, however, as it pertains to those who are less fortunate.

For those countries who cannot sustain their own population through traditional means, there always seems to be help. Adoption for foreign children is at an all-time high and I believe it is, unfortunately, a booming industry. We seem to take care of our own kind.

I do advocate educating those who might not have been taught about birth control and making those 'tools' available to those who do not have technology, such as birth control, available to whomever would like this assistance.

On the other hand, to question the Catholic (and the Mormon?) faith? Wow! This guy, when he wrote this, had a larger set of kahoonas than I do.

We need people, however, who are not afraid of expressing themselves. And at times, to express a shocker of an opinion, can hold value. I believe it stimulates curiosity and eventually, perhaps, it may institute change.

After my second child, I realized I wasn't exactly the best model for parenting and made a decision. At the time, I was not nearly as educated as I am not- but I still feel I made a decision based on some careful observations about my past and future.

It all boils down to either my understanding of myself or through knowledge of the implications of the future of my children and myself. Education is certainly the key but I'll hold those thoughts to myself and continue to do what I can for those less fortunate - when I am able.
I know this a weak stance and sort of stands in the middle but wow! I may not be smart enough to understand what it is Snyder is suggesting.