Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Global Warming: Fact or Fiction? Who cares?

In the early to mid-80’s, as I recall, we were introduced to global warming. Lately, these words and what they mean to the future of our planet have experienced resurgence in the media and are taking center stage with many scientists and politicians. There are things I know about global warming, there are things I think I know about global warming, then there are things I wish I knew less about or felt less strongly about. It appears that temperatures on our planet are going up – data suggests it’s been happening for the past 100 years at an accelerated pace. Some of this climatic change could be part of a natural cycle but there is also strong evidence to suggest humans have contributed to this rapid acceleration. Do we care, do we care enough to do anything about it and if we do something today, will it be too late to save mankind?

These are tough questions and questions which may not result in easy or comfortable answers. President Bush suggested policy change in his 2007 State of the Union address, stating we need to become less dependent on foreign oil. I agree with this, Mr. President, however, politicians have been beating their chest for decades saying we need to become less dependent on foreign oil – this statement is getting a little old with little progress toward that goal. I do allow a president a little latitude during a state of the union address. He is, after all, a politician and most are trying to ensure their future service in government. This president, however, has little at stake, other than trying to change his administrations legacy, which will not be viewed favorably in most cases. I am tired of sound bites like ‘we are protecting our vital interests in the middle east’. I want them to be frank and say ‘we need the middle east’s oil’, or ‘we need to ensure our vital supply of oil’. During the state of the union last week, President Bush said he wanted to double the current capacity of our strategic oil reserves so that we are less dependent on foreign imports of oil. Moments before, he was suggesting we reduce gasoline consumption by 20 percent over the next 10 years by encouraging better economic fuel standards. While I like to hear these things from those setting our nation’s foreign policy, I have learned that campaign promises or suggestions during the state of the union address are mostly ‘feel good, hoorah’ words with very little substance once introduced in the legislative branches of our government. Empty promises and rhetoric, I believe is how these words are described on nightly newscasts.

As citizens, it boils down to this – what are we willing to do? Will we car pool more often, take public transportation, buy hybrid vehicles and put those gas guzzling SUV’s out to pasture? Economic data suggests we are not quite at that point. I, for one, would be proud to drive one of those nice, new and shiny hybrid vehicles. With limited means, however, that’s not likely to happen for several more years. Public transportation is abysmal in most places I have visited – unclean with little by way of feelings of security. I acknowledge the fact that I did make it to my final preferred destination and, disregarding the discomfort, it was an adventure. There is not an effective system for mass transportation in towns like Lewiston, Idaho, which cannot support a viable bus route for the masses – we all have such peculiar needs and disparate schedules, it would be a waste of valuable and limited funding resources. I hesitate to mention how many times people would rather turn up the thermostat than put on a sweater when they are cold and I am alarmed at the lack of good sense of the youth of my community as I watch them walking to school in January with little more than a t-shirt on. On more than one occasion I have been reminded at how much like a jerk I sound like when I suggest kids turn out a light when leaving a room when involved with those I call my ‘better half’. Who is being ridiculous here?

Yes, the data is somewhat alarming and yes, I’d like to do my part. However, I admit, only if I am not inconvenienced by doing so. I do not make arrangements with anybody from work to see if I can car pool with them. At the same time, I am not sure they would loan me their vehicle when I need to go to class. I will, however, turn down my thermostat (base-board heaters, in my present situation) and turn off lights when they are not in use, and I do this for several reasons. One is obviously to reduce my electricity costs and the other, somewhere in the back of my mind, is to help stop, in some insignificant way, my dependence on foreign oil.

I am sure I am not the only one to feel this way but I feel very insignificant when exercise my right to vote as a free citizen of this great nation? Then I have to watch as the Supreme Court decides he or she who is most popular is not the correct person for the job and I ask myself – Ok, what’s the point?