Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Why is English so stuffy?

I'm sitting here in English 102 taking notes. I'm noticing a disturbing trend - English is SO STUFFY! Rules, MLA, APA, stupid abbreviations of the months (Jan., Feb., Mar. - but spell out May, June & July?? [did I get that right? Let me look at my 800 page reference guide!!])

Argh! There is a reason I didn't take English (don't appreviate the word English) 102 until the bitter end. However, I admit it had more to do with not wanting to spend this much time in the library.

I keep waffeling on my research topic. There appear to be trends with the changing dynamics of the American family and with our system of values. However, I also have many questions regarding the way men and women interact with each other and why we can't rely on each other to be honest anymore. So many questions, so little free time.

In both cases, I am a numbers cruncher, a data point collector, and can deduce my own conclusions based on compiled numbers. Finding the data in the format I would like to see it in, however, will be the biggest challenge I will face this semster. Give it to me in ASCII comma separated values and let me run queries against the data in SQL. Heck, I'll even keep the data stored neatly in a database engine!!

So, the challenge starts. Luckily, some of my papers which are due will compliment my Ethics & Ecology class, so writing one paper may prove the ability to kill two birds. WAHOO!

Off I go! I have a half hour left of class - perhaps I should pay attention now and take more notes.